Underinsured Motorist Coverage

God forbid you be involved in a serious accident. Even though the accident was not your fault, your bones are broken; you're going to be in bed for months, missing work and no paychecks.

But why worry? The accident was not your fault. A punk boy beat you up, so it's all on him and he sure will take care of everything, right? SORRY, but Missouri law only requires the punk kid to have $25,000.00 in liability insurance. It may be enough to cover your ambulance ride to the emergency room, but not much else.

That's where underinsured motorist coverage comes in. It is an insurance coverage that you buy  with a small monthly premium  to cover your damages in case the above happens to you.

Unfortunately, we see the above scenario over and over again in recent years. After the financial crisis of 2008, more and more drivers began to carry minimum car insurance policies. The result is more car injury victims who fall far short of compensation for the damages they suffered. You need underinsured motorist coverage to protect yourself and your family. I hope you never have to use it. But if you do, you'll be glad you have it. In many cases, additional underinsured motorist coverage is very affordable and can be obtained in a matter of minutes through your insurer.

Índice de contenido

    Uninsured driver coverage

    Another type of coverage is uninsured motorist, which protects you if the other side doesn't have insurance. About 13% of drivers nationwide or  about one in eight  drive without insurance, according to the Insurance Research Council. Uninsured motorist coverage also applies in a “hit-and-run” accident where the owner or operator of the vehicle that caused the accident is unknown. While underinsured motorist coverage is optional, uninsured motorist coverage is required at the $25,000 level. Often this amount is still not enough to fully cover injuries, so we think it's a good idea to get additional uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.

    Uninsured drivers, or “hit-and-run” drivers who leave the scene of an accident cause many vehicle accidents. According to the Insurance Research Council, 13% of drivers are uninsured despite being required by law to carry liability insurance. Uninsured motorist coverage protects you against these situations. In Missouri, uninsured motorist coverage is mandatory at $25,000. You can ask your insurance provider to increase this amount to give you more protection against uninsured drivers and "hit-and-run" drivers.

    The attorneys at KC Road advise you to check your policy and contact your insurer to get the most uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance coverage possible to protect you and your family. The costs to obtain this type of additional insurance are usually very affordable.

    medical pay coverage

    Medpay coverage is used as supplemental health insurance to help cover your hospital and other medical expenses if you are in a car accident. Drivers are often unaware of medical payment coverage until their attorney discusses coverage with them after an accident.

    Medpay coverage is typically used as a Band-Aid to reimburse initial out-of-pocket hospital bills and other medical bills. Coverage is generally limited to $5,000.00 with most auto policies. Your attorney will still need to settle the rest of the claim for medical bills and other damages with the insurance company or through the courts to help you collect your claim.

    Leave a Reply

    Go up

    Cookies on this website are used to personalize content and ads, provide social media features, and analyze traffic. Cookies policy